Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Several weeks ago, thankfully while the weather was still warm, our family went out in search of the perfect Christmas tree. We have never picked out a Christmas tree without being bundled up in winter coats. Last year Mom made Dad and I go out and pick one out in the middle of an ice/snow storm. Needless to say, that was the worst tree we've ever had, but that's what happens when you pick one out in 2 minutes. We always buy from the Breakfast Optimist Club because the profits are put back into the local community through charitable support. So, Dad and I began the search. Wandering up and down the aisles looking for that "special" tree to bring home.
There were too many to choose from. Also, this day I thought that my stuffed dog and the gameboard to "Trouble" needed to accompany us on the hunt. Don't ask me why. My parents are still wondering why.
This is what sis did the whole time we were trying to make a decision. She was kind of like "hurry up and make a decision already."
Once we got it home Mom began the "get all the lights to work" game. It was taking a little longer than expected and Mom was getting pretty frustrated until Dad came to the rescue. So, I took a snack break and waited for them to figure out those silly lights. It wouldn't be Christmas without having to fight the tree lights.


So, Mom informed me that now since I'm big enough it's my job to take the lead on trimming the tree and to get it started. So, I carefully picked out the first ornament to hang.
I went and grabbed the step stool and hung the first ornament of choice, it just didn't look right.

So, I then went and grabbed a chair to the dining room table and again hung the first ornament of choice. But I was still not happy with it's placement.
It needed to go HIGHER! Mom says that I'm just like my father and never happy until things are just right.
We pulled the big boy ladder out and went to work. Forget that wimpy step stool. Now we're talking. Perfect. Man, that was a lot of pressure to get the first ornament just right.
Once we added all of the other ornaments the tree turned out beautiful and was one of our best trees yet, if I do say so myself.

No comments: